Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Vellum… a girl’s best, err, second best friend.

Have you come to appreciate the full potential of vellum? Maybe not? I know I’m still learning tricks every day. Vellum, if used properly can be the best way to sneak in that extra something to your layout.

I love the way Vellum can allow you to add titles or journaling to your layout without completely hiding your beautiful background. There are many times I buy a page just because it’s so beautiful and I have a hard time covering it up, even if it’s to add a picture of my kids. So why would I want to clutter it up even more with titles, or journaling (as much as I might want to remember the exact details for that picture). Here’s the trick: VELLUM!

Once you’ve established the fact that you do want to use vellum, the tricky part is actually attaching it to your page. Since you can see right through it, this can be a bit of a challenge. Let me start by saying to all those who have never used vellum, regular glue, glue stick, etc just won’t cut it. Even after it dries, you can tell where you put the glue. Luckily, some brilliant person created vellum spray adhesive. If used properly, works wonderfully. I use Creative Imaginations Scrappers’ Spray. My other trick is to use brads or eyelets. That certainly does the trick. And don’t forget staples too.

Don’t get me wrong, I guess you can still use glue, double sided stickies or glue dots, but you’ll have to plan to cover it up on top to hide those spots. Try ribbons, buttons, pictures, (my chipboard letters :) I’m sure you can get pretty creative.

I’m sure you could think of some other ways of attaching the vellum, just make sure it’s sturdy.

And just on a side note, I’ve used an ink jet printer before and maybe I was in too much of a rush, but my words bleed on me since I used the adhesive spray. Maybe if I would have let my ink dry more it would not have happened to me. So please, learn from my mistakes. I also have a laser printer and love the quality it gives me (and I can use it right away too). Sure it’s only black, but hey!

So… some of the things I’ve used vellum for include (but are not limited to), making titles, journaling, using as a back ground, matting photos, and even laying the vellum right over the photo. On a side note, vellum rips very nicely so you can get a beautiful effect doing that for a background. Just make sure you’ve got something behind it, even if it’s just plain white paper. Another thing I’ve done which I just love is putting my journaling overtop of a picture. For a wedding page, I printed my wedding poem on white vellum and laid it over a picture of my wedding flowers. Just lovely!





And just remember, vellum doesn't just come in white, there's a variety of colors. So go ahead, give it a try!

No comments: