Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sew Much Fun

Ok, so this technique may be a bit time consuming, but the results are so worth the effort.
As I say, nothing ever worth having ever comes easy. Unless you’ve got a horse shoe somewhere. But anyhow. I LOVE the look of stitches on my pages. And it also keeps things attached too. (smile)

But before you just start stitching, it might be good to have a plan first. Attach everything to your layout the way you want it. Next, you’ll want to decide what type of stitch you would like to do. If you’ve cross stitched, I’m sure you’ll know the different types of stitches, but for me, I just stick with the simple ones. But for me, I’m quite happy with the zig zag stitch (if that’s even what it’s called – see picture) and what they call a
Back Stitch.

If you have an idea of what you want it to look like, you can just pick up your needle and embroidery floss and get started, or you can use a paper piercer and make the holes before you start stitching with needle and thread. I’ve always used embroidery floss, but I’m sure you can use just about anything you could thread your needle with: regular thread, wool, thin ribbon, etc.

Take your time, and don’t pull too hard if you get tangled up. You are only sewing paper BTW. So grab a nice cup of tea, curl up on the couch and sew away. Just don’t let your husband see you, otherwise he might try bring you his socks that have holes in them. This is so much more fun.

One trick I like to use to get started and to finish… I leave an inch or so of extra floss at the ends and tape them down. As long as you don’t pull too hard, this should hold everything in place quite nicely.

You can sew just about anything to your layout: charms, buttons, ribbons, paper, etc.
So give it a try, I promise you’ll love the outcome.

Happy Scrapbooking!

P.S. If you like my "Sweet Princess" title, you should check out the rest of the goodies you can find at this website.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow, that stitching is immaculate! I have a sewing machine and use it alot on my pages, but I have to admit, I too like taking out the old needle and thread (embroidery thread) as it gives it a much nicer look than the machine.

Plus it *is* relaxing to take a break just to curl up on the couch and do a little sewing.

Beautiful layout!

love-2-bake.com said...

I've used the sewing machine too and love the look of that too.

Unfortunately, my mom borrowed her machine back so I'm stuck with doing it by hand...